Permits are days away from being issued for our cafe project in Traverse City, Michigan. After finding our work at Filter in Wicker Park, the brewers asked us to design their similarly infrastructured space in cherry country. We have uncovered the original structure through about seventy years of dirt, grime, and hideous remodels to find beautiful maple floors, yellow masonry, and a tin ceiling! We’ve also rediscovered the existing window openings in the rear of the space which will give new light and air to the seating area. The space will operate as a cafe during the day, with locally roasted coffee brewed over a custom designed pour-over stand, and a tavern into the night. After a building material shopping spree in Chicago we have designed reclaimed pendant light fixtures and barnwood, recycled leather, and salvaged wood windows into the space. The rest of the design features a refined industrial aesthetic echoing the former sawmills of Traverse City while giving a subtle nod to the City Opera House which still operates upstairs. Photos inside.
the official blog of moss
- America's 10 Best Protected Bike Lanes of 2013, and two of them are in our hometown. peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/the… 1 day ago
- RT @dosemarket: Indulge in excellence and make your December so much sweeter. The full lineup + details about 12/8's Dose here >> http://t.… 1 day ago
- @honestbuildings Wow, thank you so much! 2 days ago
- RT @honestbuildings: @mossdesign You're welcome! We including this project in our newsletter this morning as well bit.ly/1clZjrl 2 days ago
- Though turkey day is over we wanted to share our thoughts on heritage turkeys, for next year or any holiday feast! moss-design.com/2013/11/28/the… 2 days ago
2 sparrows alternative materials architects artwalk available to the masses barnwood beer bicycle rides bikes boycott brew brewery brick buildings as trees cars chicago dallas dill pickle coop eco eco-friendly edible energy efficient erie center lofts ethics farm filter food green architect green permit program industrial chic insulation lakeview lakeview master plan LEED lincoln park loft logan square michigan milwaukee ave lofts moss design paradigm shift PARK(ing) Day parking parking meters parks passive house planning press project completion! public space put a bird on it rainbow oaks restaurant ravenswood reclaimed materials reclaimed wood furniture recycling residential restaurant restaurant design river north san diego strawbale sustainable design sustainable habitat tear down this highway traverse city ubiquitous upcycle urban agriculture urban design urban farm video waste time in your car water hazard wicker park