Permits are days away from being issued for our cafe project in Traverse City, Michigan. After finding our work at Filter in Wicker Park, the brewers asked us to design their similarly infrastructured space in cherry country. We have uncovered the original structure through about seventy years of dirt, grime, and hideous remodels to find beautiful maple floors, yellow masonry, and a tin ceiling! We’ve also rediscovered the existing window openings in the rear of the space which will give new light and air to the seating area. The space will operate as a cafe during the day, with locally roasted coffee brewed over a custom designed pour-over stand, and a tavern into the night. After a building material shopping spree in Chicago we have designed reclaimed pendant light fixtures and barnwood, recycled leather, and salvaged wood windows into the space. The rest of the design features a refined industrial aesthetic echoing the former sawmills of Traverse City while giving a subtle nod to the City Opera House which still operates upstairs. Photos inside.
the official blog of moss
- Emily filed the wall with Detroit research! instagram.com/p/ZZDSGKwhVF/ 2 days ago
- Our rebuttal to @nytimes Is Your Kitchen A Health Hazard? We say no; in fact the opposite: Kitchens are good for you! goo.gl/syjZG 2 weeks ago
- Approved! saigonsisters instagram.com/p/Y20Wv9whZN/ 2 weeks ago
- RT @chicagodetours: How to make streets friendly and not freaky: bit.ly/11YHYh7 @ccc_scoop @greenfieldjohn @streetsblogCHI 2 weeks ago
- Fascinating design fact: Napoleon's death may have been hastened by the hue of his favorite wallpaper. goo.gl/o0uVp 2 weeks ago
2 sparrows alternative materials architects available to the masses brick chicago dill pickle coop edible energy efficient erie center lofts ethics filter food lakeview lakeview master plan LEED lincoln park loft logan square michigan milwaukee ave lofts moss design paradigm shift PARK(ing) Day parking meters parks project completion! public space put a bird on it reclaimed materials reclaimed wood furniture restaurant restaurant design river north strawbale sustainable design sustainable habitat tear down this highway traverse city ubiquitous upcycle urban agriculture urban farm waste time in your car wicker park